FAQ & TEST DATA
What is eco3spa?
The eco3spa system is a complete, non chlorine water treatment solution developed specifically for hot tubs and spas, rather than swimming pools. It is 100% non-toxic and environmentally friendly and will not irritate your skin or eyes.
eco3spa comprises 3 synergistic elements:
- A cleaner which is used prior to use and at each water change. The eco3spa Step 1 - Hot Tub Cleaner removes biofilm, scale and grease from the hot tub pipework to 'deep clean' your hot tub and remove both bacteria and the food on which bacteria thrive.
- A water conditioner which is applied to the water monthly. The eco3spa Step 2 - Water Conditioner contains blends of non-toxic surfactants, coconut extract and several types of natural enzymes. The conditioner enhances the bactericide action of the sanitising tablets, softens the hot tub water, hydrates your skin and stabilises the water pH.
- Multi-Function water sanitising tablets. The eco3spa Step 3 - Water Sanitiser Tablets produce Active Oxygen in the hot tub water to immediately kill any harmful bacteria. The tablets also remove algae and oxidise any organic matter in the hot tub water.
eco3spa will make your hot tub water management amazingly simple and drastically reduce the time required to maintain your hot tub.
What are the disadvantages of using Chlorine or Bromine?
Traditionally, chlorine or bromine have been used as the disinfectant in hot tubs. However, there are a number of disadvantages to using these products:
- chlorine reacts with organic hot tub contaminants and leads to the formation of potentially toxic disinfection-by-products such as trihalomethanes, halomethanes, haloacetic acids and chloramines. It is these bi-products that cause smell and skin irritation.
- both chlorine and bromine's biocidal abilities are hindered by water hardness and poor pH control.
- chlorine disinfection has been found to increase antibiotic resistance.
- chlorinated water will harm plants and the environment and cannot be disgarded onto the garden.
More about eco3spa Step 1 – Hot Tub Cleaner
eco3spa Step 1 - Hot Tub Cleaner is an environmentally friendly biofilm remover and surface cleaner. It is an advanced blend of surfactants and organic salts that effectively clean the internal workings of your hot tub and all exposed surfaces, removing biofilm, scale and body fats and leaving the pipework and equipment sparkling clean.
Unlike most biofilm removers, eco3spa Step1 - Hot Tub Cleaner is non-corrosive and non-acidic, it will not damage your hot tub cover or equipment and it is safe to discard on garden plants and grass.
eco3spa Step1 - Hot Tub Cleaner is added to the water in your hot tub prior to using eco3spa for the first time and then prior to draining your hot tub every 3 months. It cleans the parts of your hot tub that you can't reach, removing bacteria and bacterial food and so reduces the need for high levels of sanitiser.
eco3spa Step1 - Hot Tub Cleaner must be used in warm water and it is particularly important that it is used in new hot tubs prior to first use.
More about eco3spa Step 2 - Water Conditioner
eco3spa Step 2 - Water Conditioner is is the environmentally friendly, non-toxic heart of the eco3spa system. It is made from natural coconut, minerals and plant extracts with natural enzymes and a proprietary formulation of non-foaming surfactants.
The Water Conditioner not only enhances the quality of the water in your hot tub, it also stabilises the pH and reduces the demand placed on the sanitiser, enabling the Active Oxygen generated by the sanitising tablets to effectively and efficiently kill bacteria.
The coconut extract has the additional benefit of being an excellent skin softener and hydrator.
Every hot tub is different, but the problems with them are the same. Hot tubs provide an ideal environment for harmful bacteria to thrive. If bather comfort, water cleanliness, and waste-management efficiency is important to you, eco3spa Step 2 - Water Conditioner will provide the boost you need to accomplish that goal.
More about eco3spa Step 3 - Water Sanitising Tablets
eco3spa Step 3 - Water Sanitiser Tablets contain a triple potassium salt which dissolves in water to produce Active Oxygen. They also contain proprietary additives to assist with algae removal, water clarification and cleansing.
At the higher water temperature of hot tubs these tablets are at least as effective as chlorine at neutralizing harmful bacteria and oxidising organic waste - organic waste comprises substances such as body oils, sweat (yes you do sweat in a hot tub), dead skin, saliva, mucous, urine, faeces etc. As hard as you might try, you cannot avoid these contaminants getting into the water and it's very important to remove them or, over time, they will enable harmful pathogenic bacteria to grow and thrive.
eco3spa Step 3 - Water Sanitiser Tablets do not contain any chlorine or bromine. Water treated with the tablets will not irritate your skin or eyes. It is non-toxic and safe to discard onto your garden plants or grass.
Will eco3spa have any detrimental effect on my hot tub components, jets, pumps etc?
No! In fact quite the opposite.
The naturally softer water with less minerals and heavy metals, combined with no chlorine or bromine and no acidic pipe cleaners, means that your hot tub's components such as pumps, jets, pipework joints etc will last longer.
The underside of you hot tub's cover as well as soft headrests will also last much longer as they will not suffer from the usual staining and corrosive effects of chlorine or bromine.
Is Active Oxygen a new sanitiser?
Active oxygen has well-known and well documented antimicrobial, fungicidal and viricidal effects. Active Oxygen has been used since the 1950s in a range of applications, including the disinfection of drinking water; intraoperatively to prevent tissue infection and as a biocidal in dental operations.
Active oxygen has well documented antimicrobial effects against E. coli and P. aeruginosa, the two bacteria most commonly found in hot tubs, and our own research into this is available on the Test Data tab above.
Many studies have also shown the effectiveness of Active Oxygen against biofilm formation and again our own test data confirms this effect.
In recent times Active Oxygen has been used extensively worldwide to fight Covid-19, primarily because of because of it's non-toxic, and odourless properties.
What is the shelf-life of eco3spa?
When kept in a dry, cool area such as a cupboard the ingredients in eco3spa will stay active for at least 3 years.
Who manufactures eco3spa?
eco3spa is manufactured in the UK by Surespa Ltd.
The product contains a patented water purification technology developed in the USA by a leading manufacturer of innovative, biologically proven, eco-friendly cleaning products.